Beef Filet & Boxty With Guinness Mustard Sauce
"Boxty" = potato pancakes. An easy, unique recipe for beef and potatoes.
- Wash the raw potatoes and grate them into a linen cloth. Wring them tightly, catching all the liquid in a bowl.
- Leave the liquid in the bowl until the starch sinks and the water on top is clear.
- Pour off the water and scrape the starch on to the potatoes. Season with salt and mix well.
- Into this add enough flour to make pliable dough. Knead and roll out and cut in circles (like pancakes).
- Fry on a greased griddle or pan until brown on both sides, keep hot.
- Skewer or tie the bacon around the filets. Season to taste.
- Fry together in butter.
- When cooked, put aside (keep hot).
- Fry the mushrooms and shallots in the same pan. Use any grease remaining.
- Add the red wine and reduce by half.
- Finally, add the mustard seed.
- Place Boxty on serving dish with filets on top.
- Pour sauce over filets. Garnish with watercress.