Thank you Chef Thomas Kaylor for this delicious, simple recipe for flank steak sandwiches. Featuring Le Bon Magot Tomato and White Sultana Chutney. Serves 3.
2 8oz Greensbury flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6oz soft goat cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 sprigs watercress
- 1 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Le Bon Magot Tomato and White Sultana Chutney
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 baguette or bread of choice
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Allow steaks to come to room temperature and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Allow goat cheese to come to room temperature in a bowl to soften it.
- Finely chop basil and add it to the softened goat cheese.
- Add the chili flakes and the Tomato and White Sultana Chutney to the goat cheese mix.
- Heat canola oil in a 12-inch saute pan on high heat. Dry flank steaks with a paper towel and season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Once the oil is smoking add the steaks and sear for two minutes a side. Remove the steaks from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Allow the steaks to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the baguette into three even pieces and cut each piece in half. Spread goat cheese mixture onto each piece of bread.
- Peel the red onion and thinly slice into rings; place the onion slices into a small mixing bowl.
- Rinse watercress, remove thicker stems, and add to red onions. Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar onto the mixture.
- Cut the avocado in half; thinly slice the avocado and arrange onto the baguette. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Cut steak against the grain, slicing as thinly as possible. Arrange on the bottom side of the baguette.
- Place the dressed up watercress and red onion rings on top of the steak. Place the baguette tops onto the watercress and onion and serve.