Ginger-scallion chicken wings
February 22, 2017
Adapted from LuckyPeach:
What you'll need:
- 2lbs chicken wings
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the chicken wings and pat dry. Cut wings into three segments, set aside.
- Peel and slice 2 large cloves of garlic.
- Peel and grate 1-inch by 1-inch piece of fresh ginger.
- Wash the green onions; remove tips and chop into 2-inch segments. Set aside both white and green parts.
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add sugar. The sugar will have a clumpy appearance and then caramelize into a brown viscous liquid within the hot oil.
- Add chicken wings and coat them with the oil and caramelized sugar. Brown wings for 2-3 minutes, fold the wings into the oil using tongs. Fold in garlic, ginger, green onions.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine, and crushed red pepper. Toss the wings and cover the wok with lid. Turn heat to low, cook for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the wok and toss wings. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with white rice.