Irish Bangers & Mash
A traditional Irish recipe - sausage & mashed potatoes. This recipe uses beef broth and cabbage.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender.
- As the potatoes are cooking, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add cabbage and 1/2 cup onion. Sauté until soft, but not brown. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and mash by hand. Incorporate the milk and butter into the potatoes until well mixed, and fold in the cooked cabbage and onions. Season to taste.
- Fry sausage in another skillet over medium-high heat, until browned. Remove the sausage from the pan.
- In the pan juices, sauté 2 cups chopped onion until lightly browned. Add beef broth, bring to a boil, and simmer 5 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch.
- Place one scoop of potatoes in the center of a serving plate, top with two sausages, and cover with gravy.