Paleo Fried Chicken with Pickled Veggies
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 small radishes, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 carrot, julienned, spiralized or grated
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced and soaked in water with a pinch of salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt, optional
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional for spice
1-1.5 pounds chicken breast cutlets (if tenders are not available use chicken breasts and see *Notes)
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups potato starch or tapioca starch
- 2 tsp sea salt plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 1 tsp pepper plus extra for seasoning chicken
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- coconut oil or avocado oil for shallow frying
- 6 cups of mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small avocado, sliced
Quick Pickled Veggies
Quick Pickled Veggies
Cut and slice all veggies and place in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with clean hands or tongs. Let sit while you prepare chicken and salad.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place a rack on a large cookie sheet next to stovetop.
Prepare chicken according to photos if you weren’t able to find tenders.
Mix dry ingredients in a pie plate or large dinner plate.
Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat 1/4 inch of oil in cast iron skillet (or other large skillet) until a pinch of flour sizzles immediately on contact with oil.
Turn each chicken piece on all sides in the flour mixture until evenly coated then place straight into the oil.
You may have to do a couple of batches depending on amount of chicken pieces you have.
When they have browned on both sides transfer to the prepared cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the thickest part registers 160 degrees.
Arrange a quarter of the greens on each plate.
Top each pile of greens with a quarter of the chicken, a quarter of the quick pickled veggies (straining off extra liquid and reserving) and a quarter of sliced avocadoes.
Whisk the olive oil with 3 tbsp pickled veggie liquid and drizzle over the top of the salads.
For more recipes by Christi Flaherty, follow her on instagram @healthyhappyrealcf.