Created By: April Preisler of Food n' Focus
I like to create dishes that are rich in flavors and remind me of my travels around the world.
One of my favorite flavor mixes from my trip to Italy was the combination of rosemary and garlic on a variety of meat dishes. This Tuscan Flank Steak combines these flavors on a deliciously grilled steak paired perfectly with a delicious Caprese salad. I dressed the salad with a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar to finish off the dish with a sweet, yet tart flavor.
This dish is perfect for a summer date night in your backyard!
- 1 8-ounce organic, grass-fed flank steak
- 1 cup Chianti or Sangiovese red wine
- ½ cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¾ cup mozzarella pearls
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine the wine, ½ cup olive oil, garlic and rosemary in a shallow dish or bag to marinate the steak. Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper and place into the wine marinade. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until the steak is cooked medium (155⁰F). Remove from the heat, cover and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- While the steak is cooking, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil in a medium bowl. Stir to coat the tomatoes and mozzarella evenly. Season with salt and pepper and allow to stand at room temperature while the steak is cooking.
- Slice the steak thinly against the grain and divide evenly between two plates. Divide the Caprese salad between the two plates and serve immediately.